71% of Earth is covered in water, and 96.5% of that is saltwater. That leaves 3.5% for freshwater, of which only 1% is consumable by humans.
While mountains of discarded trash and plastic bottles float aimlessly in our oceans and rivers, significant amounts of CO2 plague our atmosphere, contributing to the warming of our planet. With rising temperatures, freshwater sources such as glaciers are melting at rapid rates, resulting in higher ocean levels and serious consequences for our future.
The effects of our plastic production, consumption, and waste touch each and every species that rely on water as either a source of hydration or as their home—including us. The degradation and death of coral reefs around the world, for example, can be directly linked to climate change and rising sea levels, ultimately impacting CO2 emissions.
What is World Water Day?
Observed annually on March 22, World Water Day began in 1993 in order to raise awareness of its importance, as well as recognition of the 2 billion people who do not have access to clean drinking water. One of its main goals is to “inspire action towards sustainable development” and to see “water and sanitation for all by 2030”. Though it may appear to be a daunting and potentially impossible task, people have created solutions to seemingly impossible problems before. The testament “necessity is the mother of invention” holds true for our water issues as we see people and organizations around the world making great strides.
How does waterdrop® support World Water Day?
At waterdrop®, we encourage people around the world to ensure that they are drinking enough water, but our commitment to water does not end there. We recognize that unless significant changes are made in many industries, such as the beverage industry, the Earth may suffer irreversible damage, affecting every living creature on the planet.
By using 98% less plastic and generating 98% less CO2 than conventional single-use plastic bottles, we have taken a step in the right direction. However, it will take more than just one company to see significant change. There needs to be a commitment from everyone in order to ensure things do not get worse, enabling us to create positive change.
How do waterdrop® contribute?
For every 12-pack you purchase, we pay Plastic Bank for the collection of one discarded plastic bottle. The bottle is then sorted by color and type, washed, and then finely shredded and processed into new products. With every Microdrink, Microtea, Microenergy and Microlyte purchase, you directly support the cleaning and restoration of our oceans, rivers, and other precious environments.
Plastic Bank is a Canadian organization that tackles environmental pollution with the help of innovative recycling systems and improves the quality of life for local volunteers who collect plastic bottles in over 500 locations including Haiti, Indonesia, and the Philippines.
As of March 2023, our partnership with Plastic Bank has since removed 969791 lb of plastic from the ocean.
Life would not exist were it not for water, so let’s treat it that way. Let’s make more conscious decisions involving our water supply—today and every day.